Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not Quite OWOP


I'm not participating in Tilly's One Week, One Pattern Challenge, mostly because I'm a wimp when it comes to cold. See, all the patterns that I've made multiples of are sleeveless sundresses, and despite living in SoCal, the weather here has been cold and stormy and rainy and gray. Oh, and I went to Big Bear over the weekend, where it started snowing on Sunday. I'll admit it, I'm spoiled when it comes to weather -- oh, what, it's 60 degrees out? Too cold!! Scarves! Gloves! Big capes! Tall boots! So yeah, no OWOP for me. But to get into the spirit of things, I thought I'd at least showcase my favorite TNT patterns, the ones that I've made enough versions of that I could do a summer OWOP if I wanted to.

First up: McCall's 5845. I am so glad that M5845 is getting the love it deserves from the fabulous Neeno of Sew Me Love; that girl has made more versions than I have, I think! Anyway, with its eight bodice darts (double if you line it!), this slightly cap-sleeved pattern is my basic bodice block of choice; it fits like a glove. It is so easy to hack up to suit whatever look I'm trying to get. Here are my incarnations of it:

Seamstress' Rendering (original pattern), Nothing But Blue Skies (modified back & skirt), Superman (modified neckline, back, and skirt), Qipao (modified neckline and closure), Shepherdress (modified bodice and skirt)

Second: New Look 6723. This one holds a special place in my heart as the first "real" dress pattern I ever sewed up; two years later I'm still using it as my princess seam sloper.

My very first woven, lined, unnamed dress (original pattern), The JChan Wedding Dress (original pattern, but finished with bias tape instead of lining and with a V-neck; pre-blog), Miss Lavender Goes to Hawaii (hacked to make a strapless sweetheart bustier and a pleated skirt), Hooray for Hippos (original pattern with pintucks), Alice in Wonderland (original pattern with the original sleeves, modified neckline and tiered skirt)

Honorable mention: my super easy DIY maxi dress! I've only made three versions of it, but those three are great examples of how a versatile pattern doesn't have to be complicated, and just by changing fabric or length you can get totally different looks.

My first incarnation (turquoise jersey, worn to a dimly lit wedding, please excuse the bad picture; with the addition of a beaded pin), the second incarnation (ankle-length, covered with bamboo), and the third and grandest incarnation (chiffon explosion!)

So there you have it: my fake OWOP! I have so much respect for people who are doing real OWOPs, especially if that pattern is pants! I am trying to work up the courage to make pants. Leah and Debi deserve all the claps in the world. 

12 comments:

  1. I was actually surprised more people weren't doing pants---the thing with pants is, once you have one pattern that fits, it's much easier to make it up, oh, fifteen times, than to try to fit another one ;). Which should lend itself wonderfully to OWOP. Or maybe that's just me ;).

    It's been actually approaching 60F here the last couple of days, which has been lovely after last week's snow. The kids are over the moon. And wearing their flip-flops, which I think is a bit excessive... but it's all in your perspective, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to work up the courage to do pants, since I hope to find one really good pattern that I can butcher like I have M5845.

      I remember when I would go back home to SF on summer break from college in San Diego and wear flip flops around and my mom was appalled since it was still only 50 degrees, so I think I understand your girls. :) Here's hoping to better weather soon for your sake!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow the Qipao dress looks gorgeous. and you definitely have a lot of dresses!
    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pippa! And sadly, that's not even the half of it...

      Delete
  3. I am struggling with my last day of OPOW... all those full skirts I made with the M5845 bodice... so hard to incorporate into my weekday wardobe!

    I LOVE the Jchan Wedding dress!!!! That's my fav, I think it was one of the first dresses I saw when I started reading blogs :) The Superman is my fav M5845 hacked pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the JChan Wedding dress love! It doesn't get nearly as much love as my bedsheet dresses, just because the fabric was so expensive. I think your full skirted M5845s are so awesome; I don't see why they can't be part of your everyday wardrobe!

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow, you have the best dresses. Just the best. I mean, I knew you had dresses, but lady, those are some wonders right there. I will hope for fine weather so you get to bring those guys out and show the world what they've been missing.

    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I totally have made New Look 6723, it's awesome.

      Delete
    2. It is, isn't it? And I may have a lot of dresses, but not a whole lot else, unfortunately. I need to make me some separates! Like you and your closet of Clovers!!

      Delete
  5. Your pieces are absolutely amazing! I adore all the styles and fabrics! Good luck with making warmer things! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.